Friday, August 20, 2021

123. Finn and the Traveling Pajamas


Finn and the Time Traveling Pajamas. (The Finniverse #2) Michael Buckley. 2021. [March] 288 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Cold Spring, NY April 11, 2069 Finn watched his friend Lincoln reach into the bag of goodies. That was what they called the collection of technologies they’d stolen from the future. Finn had lost track of what was inside it long ago. All he knew was that when Lincoln took something out of the bag, a huge explosion usually followed. This time he found a shiny silver ball covered in colored lights.

Premise/plot: Finn and the Time Traveling Pajamas is the second book in the Finniverse series by Michael Buckley. In the first book, Finn and his friends (Julep and Lincoln) had to save the universe from the Plague--alien bugs. It was a long, tough battle, BUT the heroes won the battle. Hooray, hooray! 

In the second book, these three face a whole other challenge. They'll be facing off with THE PARADOX, and the person sending them into battle is no other than AN OLD FINN FOLEY. It all starts when an OLD FINN hands him a pair of western-themed PAJAMAS. These pajamas are a time machine...

What could go wrong with the time machine? Almost everything. The adventures and misadventures these three face together as a team are INTENSE and heavy. All actions have consequences...

My thoughts: I was not expecting this one to have such depth and substance. Oh the feels!!! You might start this one thinking it will be a light, silly, goofy, over-the-top ridiculous fluff piece. WRONG, wrong, super wrong. I had no idea I cared so much about these characters until EVERYTHING was put at risk. I don't know that it would be completely fair to call the ending of this one similar to the ending of Avengers Infinity War....but you wouldn't be completely wrong.

I definitely loved this one. I loved every moment of it. I found it packed with SUSPENSE and action. Perhaps I should have seen the plot twists coming. And I *did* a teeny tiny bit. But mostly I didn't.

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: