Wednesday, January 8, 2020

5. Mary Blair's Unique Flair

Mary Blair's Unique Flair: The Girl Who Became One of the Disney Legends. Amy Novesky. Illustrated by Brittney Lee. 2019. 40 pages. [Source: Library] [Picture Book Biography; Biography]

First sentence: Mary Browne Robinson loved color. Even her name had a color in it. All she wanted was to paint.

Premise/plot: This is a picture book biography of Mary Blair, artist and animator. The picture book is slightly oversized, bright, bold, and beautiful. The book focuses on her art and career. It has just the right amount of text. It isn’t so text heavy that preschoolers couldn’t sit through it and enjoy. The subject matter is one that could easily appeal to readers of all ages. Recommended to the whole family.

My thoughts: I definitely enjoyed this one. I was semi-familiar with her work and remembered which Disney films she worked on and influenced. I also remembered the connection to the It’s A Small World After All attraction. I loved this introduction to her work. I loved how stylized the illustrations were.

Text: 4/5
Illustrations: 4/5
Total:8/10



© 2020 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: