Tuesday, January 7, 2020

4. This is Baby

This is Baby. Jimmy Fallon. Illustrated by Miguel Ordonez. 2019. 40 pages. [Source: Library] [Picture book]

First sentence: This is BABY. Let’s laugh and play and sing! What are the parts of BABY? Well, I’ll tell you EVERYTHING.

Premise/plot: This is Baby is a picture book—not a board book. This “concept” book “teaches” the parts of baby: eyes, ears, nose, lips, hips, toes, knees, etc. It sometimes rhymes, but not always. It rhymes just often enough that you come to expect it, enough that when it doesn’t it’s weird.

My thoughts: I think this is a great example of an almost for me. I think it would make much more sense as a board book. The intended audience should be toddlers and very young preschoolers. This in board book or cloth could be one of the first books you share with a little one on your lap. As a picture book, it doesn’t work as well for that young audience. By the time little ones are ready for picture books the subject matter is too babyish. The text isn’t that charming and delightful that it carries over to an older crowd. Now adults may actually care that it is by Jimmy Fallon, but that’s the last thing little ones would care about.

I didn’t hate the text. I didn’t. But I just wish Fallon could have made up his mind if the book was going to rhyme or not. Either would work.

Text: 3/5
Illustrations:2/5
Total: 5/10




© 2020 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: