Friday, January 3, 2020

3. Sisters First

Sisters First. Jenna Bush Hager and Barbara Pierce Bush. Illustrated by Ramona Kaultizki. 2019. 40 pages. [Source: Library] [Picture book]

First sentence: Before there was you, there was only me, and life was becoming a little lonely. There were friends to laugh with and dogs to chase, but I still said a prayer as I pictured your face...

Premise/plot: This celebrity penned picture book celebrates sisterhood. The text is super sweet and super predictable. This one is safe to judge based on the cover. You get exactly what you’d expect. It is written in rhyme.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I didn’t love, love, love it. But I liked it. The text felt a little forced to me because of the rhyming. Sometimes it felt natural and smooth. Sometimes it was a bit awkward. It worked more than it didn’t. So overall I liked it.

Text:3/5
Illustrations:3/5
Total:6/10


© 2020 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: