Tuesday, January 28, 2020

14. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making. Catherynne M. Valente. 2011. 247 pages. [Source: Libary] [J Fantasy; MG Fantasy; J Speculative Fiction; MG Speculative Fiction]

First sentence: Once upon a time, a girl named September grew very tired indeed of her parents’ house, where she washed the same pink-and-yellow teacups and matching gravy boats every day, slept on the same embroidered pillow, and played with the same small and amiable dog.

Premise/plot: September is whisked away (though not kidnapped) by the Green Wind and taken to Fairyland. She’ll meet dozens of people (very few human like herself) some friends, some enemies. Adventures are had. Dangers faced. Hard choices made. Truths realized. In other words this is a fairly typical children’s fantasy novel. Is it delightful and charming? Yes!

My thoughts: I definitely enjoyed this one. I wished I could have found a way to read it in one sitting. I think if I could have read it within one or two days, the characters would have stayed fresh in my mind. I would not have forgotten what each character was. Since not all are human and fairyland is peopled with a diverse variety of magical creatures. I also misplaced September’s mission at one point—her quest. I knew she’d been sent on one, but forgot the details. Jumping back in was tricky. But that is all on me. I know that! The writing was delightful.

I think my favorite character was A-L.

There are plenty more books in the series, plenty of more adventures to be had. I think this series would be a good match for many young readers. 


© 2020 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: