Sunday, March 26, 2023

73. The Summer We Found the Baby


The Summer We Found The Baby. Amy Hest. 2020. 192 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I'm the one who found her. A real, live baby girl and I saw her first. I saw the basket. Right over there, on the steps of the new children's library. A tiny little baby! All by herself in that basket! She was so brave, though. She wasn't even crying. I just wanted to hold her awhile. I didn't mean to take the baby.

Premise/plot: This children's book is set during the Second World War. It opens on a summer day--August 31. Three children (Julie and Martha Sweet, and their neighbor, Bruno Ben-Eli) find a baby in a basket on the steps of the [new] children's library. Each chapter features narration by all three--Julie, Martha, Bruno. Each chapter reveals details fleshing out their story. Everything leads to the big day--August 31. As you might have guessed, this one is not a linear or chronological story. Readers learn about the characters, the story, the setting--slowly but surely. 

My thoughts: I really loved this one! I did. There were a few [subtle] moments of sadness. But nothing overwhelming or heavy. Observant readers can read behind the lines as to how the characters might be feeling. It has a great premise--children finding an 'abandoned' baby on the steps to the public library. It has dimensional characters--I really loved getting to know all three protagonists. I loved the complex relationships. Readers learn relatively early on that Bruno and Julie have fallen out; they were friends once, but no more. I love how human all these characters are. I felt empathy for all three.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

2 comments:

Laura@Reading Books Again said...

This is a great new angle on WWII stories.

Marg said...

Thanks for sharing this review with the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge.