Thursday, March 30, 2023

77. I Love You Like Yellow


I Love You Like Yellow. Andrea Beaty. Illustrated by Vashti Harrison. 2022. 48 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: I love you like yellow.
I love you like green.
Like flowery orchid
and sweet tangerine.
I love you like silly.
I love you like mad.
Like joyous and jolly.
Like silent and sad.

Premise/plot: Picture book poem. This picture book--beautifully illustrated--celebrates families and unconditional love. 

My thoughts: I can be a harsh critic when it comes to rhyming picture books. This one was beautiful. It wasn't too 'precious' [aka saccharine]. The narrative was packed with imagery. I liked seeing all the many different scenes from life. I like the vignettes of different families. This isn't the story of one family--one parent, one child. It is broader and more universal than that. 

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: