Wednesday, March 22, 2023

70. The Giants' Farm


The Giants' Farm. Jane Yolen. Illustrated by Tomie dePaola. 1977. 78 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Long ago there were five giants who wanted to live together on a farm. There was Grizzle. He was the biggest and liked to build things. Dazzle was the roundest, and she loved to cook. The twins--Grab and Grub--always stuck together. Last was the little giant Dab, who loved to read.

Premise/plot: There are five chapters in this early chapter book. It is newly reprinted in 2023--it was originally published in the late 1970s. In the first story, the Giants build a farm. In the second and third stories, a birthday is celebrated. In the fourth story, Grizzle is grumpy and needs some cheering up. In the fifth story, Dab is out of sorts until she finds a new hobby--writing.

My thoughts: I liked it fine. It didn't wow me. But I certainly have enjoyed some of Jane Yolen's works...and I've definitely enjoyed some of Tomie dePaola's works. I was not familiar with this one. I am glad I read it. I wonder if I had read it growing up if I'd be enthusiastic about it being reprinted? Maybe. I am glad to see that there are publishers willing to reprint old(er) books. I hate that the life of a book is so short--usually. 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: