Friday, March 3, 2023

55. The Digger Dance


The Digger Dance. Judy Ann Sadler. Illustrated by Yong Ling Kang. 2022. [October 15] 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: In the field by Grandma's house, there are diggers at work. Grandma says the diggers dance. Diggers don't dance, I say. Do they? I run to the field and stand by the fence. The diggers are parked all in a row. It's too late. Maybe tomorrow. 

Premise/plot: A little boy discovers that diggers dance. A little boy is super-happy that his grandma has diggers that are--temporarily at least--working/parked next door. (What a dream for a construction-loving kid!) But the 'tomorrow' of the story is rainy--very, very rainy. Will he ever get the chance to see the diggers dancing?

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this one. It is written in verses (though not rhyming). I love the story. I love the characters. I love both the baking scenes and the construction scenes. I love the expressiveness of the illustrations.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: