Monday, January 7, 2019

Real Stories From My Time: Pearl Harbor

Nanea, Real Stories From My Time: Pearl Harbor (American Girl) Jennifer Swanson. 2018. Scholastic. 112 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence:  When most people think of Hawaii, they picture a lush, tropical island with miles of sandy beaches and palm trees swaying in the warm breeze--and that picture is pretty accurate!

Premise/plot: This AmericanGirl chapter book blends nonfiction and fiction together to teach young readers about the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

The first three chapters give young readers a background on Hawaii. The remaining chapters focus on the attack itself and the aftermath.

Most chapters include a brief section set apart as Nanea's Story. This fiction story is set in a different font. There's no mistaking what is fiction and what is nonfiction in this one.

My thoughts: I haven't read many--if any--American Girl chapter books. I liked this one. Part of me can't help wishing that it was all nonfiction or all fiction. The Magic Treehouse series, I believe, often has a fiction book and a nonfiction companion book that go together.

Original audience born circa 2009 to 2011. 

© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: