Monday, January 28, 2019

A Hug Is For Holding Me

A Hug Is For Holding Me. Lisa Wheeler. Illustrated by Lisk Feng. 2018. Harry N. Abrams. 24 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Look around and you will see all the things a hug can be!

Premise/plot: You would think this picture book would celebrate two things primarily--HUGS and FAMILIES. And, in a way, I suppose it's true. But it is nature that sneaks in and steals the show.
Cocoons are strong
yet gentle hugs,
and then,
surprisingly...
the air is filled with wonderous wings!
Your hug amazes me.
and
A flower bud
can be a hug.
Come close and
you will see.
Tight petals wrap the bloom inside.
Your hug feels safe to me. 
My thoughts: I don't dislike this one. I just don't love it. I wasn't expecting it to be about nature. Or at least so much about nature. I suppose a better description would be... as a father and daughter share a lovely walk together the little girl reflects on the many things a hug can be.

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 6 out of 10


© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: