Monday, September 3, 2018

Zola's Elephant

Zola's Elephant. Randall de Seve. Illustrated by Pamela Zagarenski. 2018. [October 9]  Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 40 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: There's a new girl next door. Her name is Zola. I know because our mothers met this morning and decided we should be friends. But Zola already has a friend. I know because I saw the big box.

Premise/plot: In Zola's Elephant, a little girl's imagination gets carried away. She imagines that the girl next door, Zola, has an elephant. She imagines ALL the things Zola and her elephant are doing in their new home. Readers, however, know the truth. There is no elephant and Zola is lonely. Will she make a new friend?

My thoughts: I have mixed feelings on this one. On the one hand, I'm thinking DON'T TEASE ME WITH ELEPHANTS WHEN THERE ARE NO ELEPHANTS. If a book has the word 'Elephant' in the title and shows an elephant on the cover, I am going to expect an elephant. On the other hand, it is a nice enough book that celebrates friendship and the imagination.

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 6 out of 10




© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: