Friday, September 7, 2018

Board books: Nita's First Signs

Nita's First Signs. Kathy MacMillan. Illustrated by Sara Brezzi. 2018. 12 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Nita is in her high chair eating crackers. Nita likes crackers. All done? Daddy signs. Eat more, signs Nita.

Premise/plot: This board book is designed to teach caregivers and their little ones ten signs that they can use to communicate with one another. The ten signs included are: all done, eat, more, please, thank you, hungry, milk, ball, play, and love. The board book has sliding pages which reveal the signs and give a description.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I did. I'm not sure why Nita has blue hair--but other than that I liked it just fine! Parents can learn more about American Sign Language by visiting the author's website. There is a YouTube video of the author teaching these ten signs. 

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 7 out of 10

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: