Thursday, September 6, 2018

Board book: Hello Ninjas!

Hello Ninjas! Joan Holub. Illustrated by Chris Dickason. 2018. Simon & Schuster. 26 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence:
Hello mask
Hello boots
Hello ninjas
wearing suits
Premise/plot: Ten ninjas are on a quest for TACO TREASURE. But will the Samurai get there first and take the tacos?

My thoughts: If I had to sum it up in one word: CONFUSED.  Clearly the book is teaching math facts--the ways to get to ten. 1+9, 2+8, 3+7, 4+6, 5+5. Clearly the book is doing this with NINJAS--ninja terms and themes. Clearly the author must love tacos--who doesn't love tacos? The book has humorous moments--a twist ending that resolves everything amicably. I'm just not sure it's for me. Then again, I am NOT the target audience in the first place.

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 6 out of 10


© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: