Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Fiona the Hippo

Fiona the Hippo. Richard Cowdrey. 2018. Zonderkidz. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: On a cold winter's night, a baby hippo was born.

Premise/plot: This picture book is loosely based on a true story. It is the story of a premature hippo named Fiona who lives at the Cincinnati Zoo. The perspective is not from the zookeepers but from Fiona herself and other animals at the zoo. There is a LOT of dialogue. I would recommend Saving Fiona by Thane Maynard instead because it is more factual and realistic. It is also packed with photographs.

My thoughts: If you enjoy stories where animals at the zoo run free from their cages, where all animals are best good buddies, where animals talk to one another, then this is the book for you. Here is where I stand: I don't mind animal fantasy I don't. I really don't. Give me a picture book with talking animals, animals in clothes, animals going to school or having their tonsils out, I'm fine with it. It is clearly a story. But because Fiona is real and this is based--however loosely--on a true story, I'm bothered by it.

Text: 2 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 7 out of 10

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: