Monday, September 10, 2018

Board book: Lit for Little Hands: Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland (Lit for Little Hands). Lewis Carroll and Brooke Jordan. Illustrated by David Miles. 2018. 16 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: One fine day, Alice saw a White Rabbit checking his pocket watch. Curious, she followed the rabbit down a deep, deep hole and found herself in wonderland.

Premise/plot: This one is part of the Lit for Little Hands series. Brooke Jordan has adapted Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland for young readers. This is an interactive board book. The interaction starts with the cover. Notice the arrow on the top. Alice can grow! And that's just the start. The next page has her falling down, down, down the rabbit hole. But my favorite may just be the spinning wheel for the caucus-race. There is a surprise on almost every single page of this one making for a WONDERful read.

My thoughts: I love and adore this one. I was skeptical at first. Could a book be adapted down to a new, much younger audience? I'm not sure how little ones will respond--but if I'd let myself get carried away, I might have squealed in a couple of places. It's just a fun and delightful read.

Granted I may be a little biased. Alice in Wonderland is one of my favorite, favorite, favorite books. As the youngest in my family, I often got to hear books twice. Once when she was reading them aloud to my sister and I was super-tiny, and again when I was "old enough." (For example, when my sister was three and I was a newborn, and then when I was three.)

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: