Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Interrupting Chicken and the Elephant of Surprise

Interrupting Chicken and the Elephant of Surprise. David Ezra Stein. 2018. Candlewick. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: It was after school for the little red chicken. "Well, Chicken," said Papa, "did you have a good day at school?" "Yes, Papa! And today my teacher told us every story has an elephant of surprise. So let's read a story, and we'll find the elephant." "Chicken, she wasn't talking about an elephant. She was talking about an element of surprise.

Premise/plot: The Interrupting Chicken is back for a second book. In this picture book sequel, Papa is trying to teach his daughter, Chicken, about the ELEMENT of surprise. He reads her three stories: The Ugly Duckling, Rapunzel, and The Little Mermaid. There are no elephants in those stories. Or are there?! Will Chicken introduce ELEPHANTS to these classic fairy tales?!

My thoughts: I loved, loved, loved the first book. I didn't know how much I NEEDED a sequel until I saw this was being released. I don't know that I've ever put myself on the hold list so fast for a book.

This picture book did not disappoint. I loved every page of it. It was just a fabulous read. I adore Chicken and her Papa. I love their relationship. I love their dialogue. There is just something funny and sweet about these two.

I loved the illustrations. I enjoyed Chicken's illustrations for Papa's original story as well. Both text and illustrations are ADORABLE.
Once there was a Papa whose daughter LOVED elephants. And she thought she saw them everywhere. But there were no elephants! Every day, he got her dressed, but there were no elephants in the dresser. Every day, he fixed her breakfast, but there were no elephants in the refrigerator. And every day, he packed her off to--
 Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10


© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: