Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sugar Cookies: Sweet Little Lessons On Love


Sugar Cookies: Sweet Little Lessons on Love. By Amy Krouse Rosenthal. Illustrated by Jane Dyer and Brooke Dyer. 2009. October 2009. HarperCollins. 40 pages.
Endearment means,
Come here, my sugar, my cookie,
my sweet little morsel.
This is the third "cookie" book. Other titles in the series include Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons and Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons. Each one offers readers cookie-inspired definitions on how to best live life. These are sweet little books about life, love, and friendship. Very family friendly. Very old-fashioned, in a way. The illustrations have this tender sweetness to them that you'd expect from a greeting card. (Not that that is a bad thing. It isn't. It's comforting. It's traditional.)
Considerate means,
I waited until you got home so we
could lick the bowl together.
and
Forgive means,
I needed some time to get over what you said
about my cookies--'cause that wasn't very nice--but
now I think I'm ready to play with you again.
I love, love, love Amy Krouse Rosenthal. She is one of my favorite writers. And I do love these cookie books. I especially love the first book which seemed so original, so unique. But I think some of her other books are more kid-friendly. Books like Little Pea, Little Hoot, Little Oink, Duck! Rabbit! and The OK Book. She's got plenty of books that would be great for reading aloud to your own kids, or for choosing to read aloud for group story time. But I think these cookie books, perhaps, are for a different audience. An older audience.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: