Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Hot Rod Hamster


Hot Rod Hamster. Cynthia Lord. Illustrated by Derek Anderson. 2010. February 2010. Scholastic. 40 pages.

Great day, grin day, build a car to win day,
Cheer day, chase day, gonna have a race day!

"I need a hot rod!"
"A hot rod for a hamster? You'll need something very small."
"And fast!"
This hamster has big, big dreams! He wants to build a racing car! And he may have come to the right place. He gets to build his dream car. Choose for himself just what he needs, what he wants!

For example,
Old car, new car, shiny painted blue car,
Rust car, clean car, itty-bitty green car.

Which would you choose?

Readers get asked to "choose" on each spread. They can then turn the page to see what the hamster decided.

What did I like about this one? I liked the rhythm of it. The steady-beat-of it. I also thought it was a funny book. Now I'm not one to automatically think a book about racing hamsters is cute or funny. But this one somewhere along the way won me over.

I think the bold illustrations are a plus as well!


© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: