Thursday, January 28, 2010

Higher, Higher


Higher! Higher! Leslie Patricelli. 2009. [March 2009] Candlewick Press. 32 pages.

Higher! Higher!

This one falls into the "I-can't-believe-I-haven't-reviewed-this-yet" category. It happens occasionally. I admit. I read a book. Love it. Read it to anyone and everyone I can. Brag about it to all my friends and family. And then somehow not get around to sitting down and typing up a review. Very sad when this happens. Even sadder--for me--because it means that I completely forgot to include it in my best-of-2009 posts. Because, you know, it so would have been topping the lists in the picture book category!

So, you might have guessed it already, but, I loved this one. I just didn't love it. I love, love, loved this one. Crazy about it. Think it's so clever, so right, so perfect. Loved the illustrations. Loved the simplicity of the text. The predictable genius of it all. A little girl. With her dad. Swinging on the swings. And loving every minute of it. (Loved the twist of this one too!)

This one almost begs to be read over and over again. And you know what, it holds up to multiple rereadings. You might even notice new things (in the illustrations, not the text) each time. Though this could just be me being slow to catch all the clever things hidden in plain sight.

I'm so happy to see this one will be a board book soon.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: