Thursday, January 7, 2010

I'm Number One


I'm Number One by Michael Rosen. Illustrated by Bob Graham. 2009. (December 2009). Candlewick Press. 32 pages.

"I'm A-One," said A-One.
"I'm BIG A-One.
Let me tell you:
A-One rules.
A-One is number one...


See the toy soldier? He's one big (but silly) bully. He loves to boss the other toys around. He loves to make them feel small and worthless. Is there a way that they can turn the tables around? Make him realize how un-fun he is being? Is there a way for this bully-of-a-soldier to make nice with the other toys?

I didn't much care for A-One. At all. I almost almost felt like calling Sid. Not really. Even bad toys deserve a second chance, right? Maybe? This is a book about what-not-to-do-if-you-want-to-have-friends. Being a bully just isn't right.

What did I think of this one? Well, it wasn't quite for me. But that's okay. It may be right for you.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: