Friday, September 27, 2024

128-129 Two MORE board books

128. Board book: Let's Eat (An All Are Welcome Book) Alexandra Penfold. Illustrated by Suzanne Kaufman. 2024. 26 pages. [Source: Library] [3 stars]

First sentence: I like noodles. I like beans. I like rice. I like greens. I like bread. I like fruit. 

Premise/plot: The [illustrated] kids that star in Alexandra Penfold's newest board book love to eat...and love to eat all together with their friends. This is an incredibly simple, bare-bones book to share with little ones. It follows a pattern. I like fill-in-the-blank....except for the one time when they throw in a toot joke. 

My thoughts: Not enough of a story to entertain me personally. However if I had a little one to read aloud to, this one would fit in just fine. When it comes to books and exposure to books, more, more, more I say.  I wouldn't not read this one. Here's another thing, as adults you can never predict what book your little one might absolutely love and form a connection with. It isn't always the one that you would think it would be. 

129. Board book: I Love You Berry Much! Rosamund Lloyd. Illustrated by Kat Uno. 2024. 20 pages. [Source: Library] [4 stars]

First sentence: Rise and shine--
it's a brand-new day.
Look who's strolling up my way.
You're so fine-apple!

You make me laugh,
you make me smile.
You look so sweet in any style.
You're one in a melon!

Premise/plot: This is a [mostly] fruit themed book of sentimental puns to share with little ones. Essentially one of those foods-with-faces books that are always equal parts cheese and sugar. (That is cheesy and super sweet.) 

My thoughts: This one is supposed to have lots of bumps for tactile learners. However in my personal opinion the bumps were almost non-existent. So nonexistent that I didn't catch onto the fact that the book was supposed to feature bumps specifically for children who are all about tactile experiences. I had to hunt for the bumps. And I was ultimately disappointed with what I "found." I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE tactile books. So I would have loved it if the book had delivered on that.

So why four stars if I found the book disappointing? I actually enjoyed the illustrations and the rhyming narrative. I thought both were well done.

 

© 2024 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: