Wednesday, September 11, 2024

119-121. Early Readers Parade

119. Pizza for Pia (Ready to read level 1) Betsy Groban. Illustrated by Allison Steinfeld. 2024. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [3 stars] [early reader]

First sentence:  Pia loves to eat. "Mealtime is the best time," says Pia. 

Premise/plot: Pia loves to eat. Pia's family loves to eat. The problem? Pia's family all prefer pizza and they just know that Pia loves pizza too. In this early reader, Pia says she LOVES tacos--not pizza. The solution? Baking taco shells and using pizza ingredients???

My thoughts: It is an early reader. This one is full of p's. I liked it well enough. There is an actual story.

120. Nothing Fits a Dinosaur.  (ready to read level 1) Jonathan Fenske. 2021. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [4 stars] [early reader, bath time]

First sentence: "No more playtime," says my momma. "Take a bath. Put on pajamas. And please, tonight, no dino drama." 

Premise/plot: Will there be dino drama? YES. Of course. In this one a little boy and his dino alter ego get into a little trouble. Don't you know that NOTHING fits a dinosaur, so he'll just have to be FREE (without clothes). "These clothes shall feel my dino-might! Roar! I shed them with a mega roar!"

 My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. Not a big surprise since I am a fan of Jonathan Fenske. Perhaps a slight surprise since I don't really love dinosaurs. However, this one is ALL about imagination. This little boy is a hoot. However, as all hoots are, he is difficult to parent perhaps.

121. Nothing Scares a Dinosaur. (Ready to read level 1). Jonathan Fenske. 2024. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [early reader, bedtime, imagination] [4 stars]

First sentence: My bath is done. My books are read. I brush my teeth. I climb in bed. My momma comes to tuck me in. She pulls the covers to my chin. 

Premise/plot: Nothing Scares a Dinosaur is a sequel to Nothing Fits a Dinosaur. Though these were published years apart--2021 and 2024--I imagine them taking place the same night. (Though, of course, it could be the next night.) The book series stars a little boy who loves to pretend to be a dinosaur. In the first book, this DINOSAUR had trouble getting ready for bed because he still wanted to play, play, play. In this next book, he is finally in bed, but will he fall asleep easily? NOTHING SCARES A DINOSAUR except perhaps his momma when she's stern.

My thoughts: I really LOVE both books. I'm so on the fence if they should be a four star or a five star. Fenske's early readers are, in my opinion, so much better than all the rest. These are entertaining, relatable, fun stories. I love the rhythm and rhyme. (Not a big surprise since Fenske is a great writer). I love how both books end!

 

© 2024 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: