Monday, September 9, 2024

117. I Really, Really Don't Like Parties

117. I Really, Really Don't Like Parties. Angie Morgan. 2024. 40 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book] 4 stars]

First sentence: One day, after school, Dora found an envelope in the bottom of her book bag. 

Premise/plot: Dora, our heroine, is invited to a classmate's birthday party. The problem? Dora really, really does not like--not even a little bit--parties. To the party she goes--reluctantly--at the insistence of her mother. Guess what, she still doesn't like parties, however, she learns that there's at least one other kid who absolutely does NOT like parties either. 

My thoughts: Dora is relatable. As is Tom. I like the story for the most part, I do. I don't love, love, love the illustrations. The style isn't my favorite or best. But the story does make up for it. Dora was a great character and perhaps a kindred spirit.

 

© 2024 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: