Monday, September 2, 2024

114. The Fastest Drummer

114. The Fastest Drummer: Clap Your Hands for Viola Smith. Dean Robbins. Illustrated by Susanna Chapman. 2024. 40 pages. [Source: Library] [Nonfiction picture book] [5 stars]

First sentence: Five girls played together in the Smith Sisters Orchestra. Irene on trombone. Erma on vibraphone. Edwina on trumpet. Mildred on violin. Lila on saxophone. Was there a spot for the sixth sister, Viola? Almost every instrument was taken...except for the drums. 

Premise/plot: The Fastest Drummer is a nonfiction picture book biography of Viola Smith. It celebrates music, jazz, women's history, and history-history. 

My thoughts: I have a weakness for music-related picture books, especially jazz-focused picture books. (I blame Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb one of the greatest early readers ever.) This one is a biography of a musician, a drummer, Viola Smith. I had not heard of Viola Smith, however, famous drummers--particularly jazz drummers--aren't something I'm particularly familiar with at all.  

What I LOVED about this one was the narrative. The storytelling AND in particular the descriptive word choices make for a super rhythmic read aloud. I loved, loved, loved how the narrative combines with the illustrations to make for a fantastic read.

© 2024 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: