Tuesday, September 26, 2023

263. Good Books for Bad Children


Good Books for Bad Children: The Genius of Ursula Nordstrom. Beth Kephart. 2023. [September] 48 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book biography; nonfiction]

First sentence:  Ursula Nordstrom
was a grown-up
who never forgot
what it was to be a child.

Premise/plot: Chances are children are clueless when it comes to knowing who Ursula Nordstrom is. (Perhaps most parents as well.) But there's a HUGE possibility that you've read aloud to your little one a book edited by Ursula Nordstrom. Nordstrom was a children's book editor. 

My thoughts: I greatly enjoyed this book celebrating books. I loved learning more about her contribution to the world of children's books. I had heard of her before--having studied children's literature at a graduate level. 

I loved the way this one was written.

My favorite quote:

And she would remind anyone who called stories
too naughty, funny, or scary
that there were all kinds of children who need all
kinds of books:
books for children who feel sad
books for children who get mad
books for children who feel different
books for children who are lonely
books for children who have secrets.
Once, when Ursula was asked
to explain why she, a grown-up
who had not gone to college,
who had never been a teacher or librarian,
had any business making books for children,
she declared:
"I am a former child, and I haven't forgotten a thing."

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: