Monday, September 25, 2023

261. Cat vs. Vac


Cat vs. Vac (Ready to Read Level 1) Kaz Windness. 2023. [August] 32 pages. [Source: Library] [early reader]

First sentence: Door crack. Sunbeam.
Cat stretch. Daydream.

Premise/plot: What happens when a family's pets accept a delivery package and the humans aren't home? This early reader imagines such an event. The delivery is a vacuum cleaner. And it is ENEMY and FOE. Who will win the day? 

My thoughts: I did not like this one at all. I expected to. I just REALLY did not. This one doesn't have a complete sentence in the whole book. It just doesn't. It is told in rhyme. You can rhyme and write in more complete sentences. Perhaps it isn't just the fragmentation--which is a stylistic choice, for sure. There are two things that didn't quite sit right with me...personally. First, I think the author made a list of all the things that COULD be appealing to young readers--namely boys in my imagination, but perhaps young girls as well. POOP. PEE. UNDERWEAR, etc. Then I think the author tried to include as many as possible.

Vac VROOM,
Vac SCHLOOP!
Vac eat cat poop.
Vac chase. Dog WEE!
Vac GLURP dog pee.

 Such wonderful literature, right??? For those that are offended by animals--pets--in underwear, be warned. (This isn't a deal breaker for me.)

Second, I think the illustrations just aren't my cup of tea. Perhaps they will be yours. Again, illustrations are completely subjective.

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: