Tuesday, September 5, 2023

232. Virginia Wouldn't Slow Down


Virginia Wouldn't Slow Down: The Unstoppable Dr. Apgar and Her Life-Saving Invention. Carrie A. Pearson. Illustrated by Nancy Carpenter. 2023. [August] 48 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence:  Did you know that you took your first test just one minute after you were born? The test showed doctors and nurses how healthy you were, if you could breathe on your own, or if you needed help--fast!

Premise/plot: This is a nonfiction picture book biography of Dr. Virginia Apgar. Perhaps the test named after her, the Apgar test, is more well known than her personal story...

My thoughts: I really LOVED this one so much. I love picture book biographies--usually. I love, love, love, love babies. I loved the illustrations. The story was engaging.

I had heard of the Apgar test. But I didn't know the full story. Now I have a better grasp of that story.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: