Wednesday, September 20, 2023

254. The Story of Gumluck the Wizard


The Story of Gumluck the Wizard (Book 1) Adam Rex. 2023. 140 pages. [Source: Library] [speculative fiction; j fantasy; j fiction]

First sentence: Let me tell you how I met the wizard Gumluck. It was Monday. "it is Monday!" he said, in his little brass bed, in the hill that he used for a house. On Mondays Gumluck had visitors. He changed out of his nightgown and into his daygown. "So much to do!"

Premise/plot: Gumluck is a silly goose. NOT literally. He's a literary 'fool' character or 'noodlehead'. This one is narrated by a raven that has a complicated relationship with the wizard. At first, he really dislikes him (for valid reasons) and then through the course of MANY misadventures, he comes to like him and even believe in him. 

My thoughts: This one is described as a "tall tale." I'm not sure I agree with that description. But it is definitely over the top in its silliness, its foolishness. But does being silly make it a tall tale?  This one is an illustrated chapter book for elementary readers. The story was enjoyable enough. I personally didn't love the illustrations--in particular the cover art. I think Gumluck is giving off Donald Duck vibes and that just doesn't work for me--again this is all subjective.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: