Thursday, September 7, 2023

235-239. Five Fox Books on Parade


235. Fox and the Jumping Contest. Corey R. Tabor. 2016. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book]

First sentence:  The jumping contest was only a few days away, and Fox was determined to win first prize. He would put the trophy right there, just above the fireplace. 

Premise/plot: Fox is a schemer. He is scheming how to "win" the jumping contest. The scheme, of course, involves cheating. The cover clearly shows *how* he plans to cheat. How will his friends respond to his schemes?

My thoughts: I believe this is the first book starring Fox. It wasn't my first to read, however, but it was the first published. Having gotten to know this character--and the characters of his many friends--I can say I enjoyed this one. I'm not sure how I would have felt without some attachment already to Fox (and friends).


 236. Fox and the Bike Ride. Corey R. Tabor. 2017. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book]

First sentence: It was the morning of the bike ride--the Annual Tour de Tip-Top, Slow-and-Steady,There-and-Back bike ride (plus snacks). The other animals were very excited. Fox was not. 

Premise/plot: Fox is a schemer. This time he is scheming how to add ACTION and action-adventure and danger-action-adventure, etc., to the annual bike ride. His friends may like things boring, regular, or traditional. But Fox wants more. Can he get all the action he craves? Will his friends actually like it?

My thoughts: Fox is sneaky. I enjoyed this one. It is packed with silliness and action. I can imagine this would make a hilarious read aloud if you've got some performer in you. I definitely enjoyed this one more than Fox and the Jumping Contest.


237. Fox is Late (I Can Read) Corey R. Tabor. 2018. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [early reader]

First sentence: Fox is late. Fox is late for lunch.

Premise/plot: Fox is late for lunch....but with a little help from a skateboard...Fox might make up his time after all. 

My thoughts: This one has a LOT of repetition which can be very fun. Go, Fox, Go! It was silly and playful. I loved seeing the expressions on all of the faces. His friends are certainly puzzled and possibly irritated by his latest antics. 


238. Fox the Tiger. Corey R. Tabor. 2018. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [early reader]

First sentence: "I wish I were a tiger," says Fox. "Tigers are big. Tigers are fast. Tigers are sneaky. Tigers are the best." Fox has an idea.

Premise/plot: Fox the Tiger won the Theodore Seuss Geisel Award for 2019. In this I Can Read early reader, Fox has an IDEA that becomes contagious. He wants to be a tiger...so he paints on some stripes. He then goes out to face the world as a tiger...or does he? Will his paint fool anyone?

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this one. It was FUN. I am glad that Fox's idea is so contagious. I loved seeing what would happen next. (For example, the turtle decides to become a RACE CAR and paints the number 4 on his shell.) I loved the text and story. I loved the illustrations. I loved the humor--and the heart.  


239. Fox at Night. Corey R. Tabor. 2021. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [early reader]

First sentence: It is night, and Fox is scared. "The night is full of monsters," says Fox. Fox looks for monsters.

Premise/plot: Will Fox find monsters when he looks for them? Or will he find new friends?

My thoughts: This one does not feature the usual cast of characters in the Fox books. (Likely they are all asleep.) It was cute and fun. I enjoyed the funny twist ending.

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: