Monday, September 25, 2023

256-260. Board book parade


256. Hello Baby Penguin! Beverly Rose. 2023. 18 pages. [Source: Library] [Board book]

First sentence: Peep-peep
Peep-peep
Baby penguins are called chicks.

Premise/plot: A board book about penguins for the littlest of 'readers.' This board book is part of a series of board books for parents to read aloud to little ones. Simple text about penguins paired with photographs. 

My thoughts: The penguins are adorable. Of course they are. This one is sweet and adorable enough. I haven't read all the books in the series, but if the library has them, I might just read them all for the cuteness.


257. Hello, Baby (Say Hello in 15 Languages!) Little Bee Books. 2023. 18 pages. [Source: Library] [Board book]

First sentence: Martin is singing. Hello, Martin.

Premise/plot: Meet fifteen little ones from around the world and say 'hello' to each in his/her own language. This one "teaches" little ones how to say hello in fifteen lanuages. The languages include: English, Chinese, French, Korean, Spanish, Arabic, German, Swahili, Navajo, Russian, sign language, Hindi, Portuguese, Japanese, and Italian.There are photographs instead of illustrations. 

My thoughts: Simple text, photographs, and a pronunciation guide for adults who are reading this one aloud. I like the concept--and this is a concept book--I'm not sure I love, love it. But I like it well enough. I definitely appreciate the use of the photographs.


258. You Are New. Lucy Knisley. 2019/2023. 42 pages. [Source: Library] [Board book; originally published as a picture book; not eligible for Cybils]

First sentence: Hello, you! You are new. When you're new....what can you do? You can look and see and peer. You can touch and taste and hear.

Premise/plot: This one is told in rhyme. It celebrates all things baby. It also celebrates growth and change. 

My thoughts: I like this one okay. The text was enjoyable enough. I think--for me--I just did not personally care for the illustrations. Again, this is subjective. I am an overthinker. I just couldn't get passed the lilac/lavender/pink skin tone. 


259. Opposites. (Baby's First Library) Agnese Baruzzi (illustrator) 2023. 20 pages. [Source: Library] [Board book; wordless]

First sentence

Premise/plot: This is a WORDLESS board book to share with little ones. It is a concept book. Each two-page spread illustrate the concept of opposites. 

Adults can turn the pages and talk about the images, perhaps ask questions, etc. OR little ones can get hands-on with the book. Perhaps nibble on the pages. Or older little-little ones perhaps can turn the pages themselves. 

My thoughts: It's hard to review wordless picture books. This one is high-contrast, I believe. The illustrations are all black, white, or red. It's meant for little-little ones, I believe. 


260. See, Touch, Feel Tummy Time. Roger Priddy (Priddy Books) 2023. 10 pages. [Source: Library] [Board book]

First sentence: 

Premise/plot: This high-contrast oversized board book is designed to be stood up and utilized during tummy time. The pages do fold out--some. Some spreads are two pages--which still stands up fine. Some spreads are four pages. 

It is wordless. The pages don't necessarily relate to one another or tell a story. Each just features a bright, bold illustration or photograph. There is a mirror on one of the pages. 

 My thoughts: The title suggests that there are things to touch and feel. I did NOT find this to be the case. There are few different textures or tactile experiences.  Many pages are just bold illustrations. Nothing to feel or touch. Unless you like just touching any board book page. There are two different tactile experiences--a soft plush fabric on one page and a corrugated, rough texture on another.

That's not to say that your little one won't find this one engaging. Just know that there are better books that actually do offer tactile experiences or sensory experiences. Perhaps they don't all fold out, like this one. 

I guess it depends on what matters most.

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: