Tuesday, October 25, 2022

175. Max Can Read


Max Can Read. Rosemary Wells. 2022. [October] 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: One day the mail carrier brought a big package to Max and Ruby's house. It came all the way from Uncle Gyorgy in Bulgaria. Inside were two boxes. "Happy Valentine!" said Max. "No, Max," said Max's sister, Ruby. "The picture on the card says Happy Double Birthday, Macks and Rubi!" 

Premise/plot: Max's gift from his uncle doesn't have instructions written in English. For most of the book, he struggles with trying to read the instructions. Frustrated that Ruby is playing with her gift, he is persistent and stubborn. If Ruby is too busy to help, it's Grandma to the rescue!!! But Grandma can't read Bulgarian either! But then Max realizes something--he doesn't need to read the words. He can READ the pictures in the instructions and perfectly-perfectly put together his air-powered jet-pack space suit. 

My thoughts: I am just going to confess at the start that I absolutely love, love, love, crazy love Max and Ruby. The television show is one of my absolute favorites. The theme song is a masterpiece. (I'll leave it to you to determine if I'm in jest.) I crazy love and adore Max and Ruby (Ruby and Max). So when it comes to reading books about Max and Ruby, well, I might be biased. 

What I love about this one is that Max (once again) proves he's smart and clever. He also makes a good point, there are many ways to READ. And you might even argue that the life skills of being able to read instructional pictures can be just as difficult as learning to read. Both skills are needed. Mechanical skills are important too.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: