Sunday, October 23, 2022

172. The Three Billy Goats Gruff


The Three Billy Goats Gruff. Mac Barnett. Illustrated by Jon Klassen. 2022. [October 18] 48 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Once upon a time there was a bridge. And beneath that bridge, there lived a troll. 

Premise/plot: The troll who is "practically starving" narrates Klassen's adaptation of the folk tale The Three Billy Goats Gruff. It has many--if not most--of the traditional elements of this one, including all the clip, clop, clip, clops. But it adds a bit more as well--the troll's perspective for one. The goat LOVES to 'count the ways' he likes to prepare (and eat) goat. But it is the lengthier ending that allows for the most creative expression.

 My thoughts: I really enjoyed this one! I'll have to recommend it to my sister who does a folk/fairy tale unit. I really liked that they kept the bare bones of this story. It isn't too 'out there' of an adaptation. But I also really love the originality in it! I love the ending. I think it works well. 


© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: