Tuesday, October 18, 2022

167. Just Harriet


Just Harriet. Elana K. Arnold. 2022. 208 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: My name is Harriet Wermer. There are some things you should know about me before I tell you everything else. Let's start with the worst things first. Sometimes I lie. I don't know why I lie, and it's usually about dumb things that people figure out right away, or really soon. 

Premise/plot: Harriet's summer doesn't go according to her plan. [Well, her parents' plans either if you think about it]. Her mom--who is pregnant--is put on bed rest. Harriet [and her cat Matzo Ball] are sent to live with her grandmother [nanu] who owns a bed and breakfast [and a dog]. Harriet normally loves, loves, loves to spend time visiting her nanu on the island. But not for the whole summer, not in this way with her mother being sick and her father being worried. But sometimes what you DON'T WANT is exactly what you need. There is a light mystery in this coming of age novel starring a soon-to-be fourth grader.

My thoughts: I definitely enjoyed Just Harriet. I loved Moneypenny [the dog] and Matzo Ball [the cat]. I enjoyed the special relationship between grandmother and granddaughter. I liked seeing Harriet explore the island and work on a little light mystery. Harriet is really taking the time to consider what her father's childhood on the island was like. [Which I appreciated.] It was a good read.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: