Monday, October 24, 2022

173. Creepy Crayon!


Creepy Crayon! Aaron Reynolds. Illustrated by Peter Brown. 2022. [August] 48 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Jasper Rabbit was struggling in school. He was flunking math. He was failing spelling. The only subject he was passing was art. Jasper needed serious help. That's when he found...the crayon. It was purple. Pointy. And perfect. And somehow...it looked happy to see him.

Premise/plot: Creepy Crayon is a Twilight Zone-esque picture book. Jasper Rabbit, the protagonist, is about to enter the Twilight Zone. He's about to learn that some things are too good to be true. (Among other things). The purple crayon, at first, seems like the BEST, BEST, BEST thing that ever happened to him. But, he starts to change his mind over the next few days. His dream-come-true turns nightmarish!

My thoughts: I have not read the other titles in the series. There's also Creepy Carrots and Creepy Pair of Underwear. In fact I had never heard of this series until coming across this one. I am so glad I read this one. I loved the Twilight Zone vibes. It was so deliciously creepy.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: