Monday, October 3, 2022

155. Sometimes I Grumblesquinch


Sometimes I Grumblesquinch. Rachel Vail. Illustrated by Hyewon Yum. 2022. [August] 40 pages. [Source: Library]
 

First sentence: My name is Katie Honors and I'm a really nice kid. I always go along nicely.

Premise/plot: Katie, our protagonist, is super nice. But sometimes--only sometimes--her emotions overwhelm her and she grumblesquinches. Sometimes quietly, softly. Sometimes loudly and dramatically. In this picture book, Katie loses patience with her younger brother, her baby brother, Chuck. Will her parents still love her when isn't so super-incredibly nice and sweet?

My thoughts: Relatable. This book is definitely relatable. Not everyone would agree that this behavior/emotion is a grumblesquinch. (I found the word to be quite unique.) The message--and there is a moral to the story--is honestly sharing how you're feeling is always a good, healthy thing.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: