Monday, August 8, 2022

126. Richard Scarry's 5 Minute Stories


Richard Scarry's 5 Minute Stories. Richard Scarry. 2022. [May] 160 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Huckle and Lowly got out of bed.

There are many, many themed books in the 5 Minute Stories series. I typically don't seek them out for review. (For better or worse. Maybe I've been judging too many books by their covers.) But when I saw this book of RICHARD SCARRY stories, well, I knew I needed to read it. (I grew up on Richard Scarry). 

These are not new stories. Just a new arrangement of previously published stories. But I wasn't mad about it. Not at all. 

The stories in this collection are:

  • The Busy Day
  • Pig Will and Pig Won't
  • A Visit with Tillie
  • Sergeant Murphy's Safety Rules
  • Dolly's Birthday Party
  • Lowly Worm's Horrid Pests
  • Good Friends and Neighbors
  • A Day at the Fire Station
  • A Day at the Police Station
  • Postman Pig and His Busy Neighbors
  • The Pig Family
  • Going Shopping
  • Corn on the Cob
  • Guess Who?
  • The Birthday Party
  • Pig Won't's Decision
  • Sergeant Murphy and the Banana Thief
  • Ma Pig's New Car

Pig Will and Pig Won't get a LOT of time. There are so many different stories focused on Pig Will and Pig Won't. And the stories seem very repetitive and same-same. If I was reading this aloud to a child--say at bedtime--there's enough time between Pig Will and Pig Won't stories that it wouldn't be a big deal. And the stories are enjoyable--just very repetitive. 

I definitely LOVED, loved, loved some of these stories. Some of them are hilarious. I really enjoyed a Day at the Fire Station and Ma Pig's New Car. 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: