Friday, August 12, 2022

128. My Life Begins


My Life Begins. Patricia MacLachlan. 2022. 128 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I am nine year old when my life begins.

Premise/plot: Jacob, the protagonist, really wants a litter of puppies, OR, at the very least a single dog (or puppy). But alas, it is not to be. Instead, the family will be adding TRIPLETS. Jacob makes "the trips" (his special name for his siblings: Charlotte, Katherine, Elizabeth) his school project. He'll be noting their progress. (Perhaps observing is the better word choice). As the school year progresses, the triplets' development does as well. Soon each one becomes a unique, special, lovely individual whom Jacob has come to love, love, love. The term "trips" now seems derogatory and rude. Can Jacob find a better word for these three?

My thoughts: I wanted to love, love, love, love this one. I didn't. Not quite. I really adored the scene where one of the babies--Lizzie, I think?????--says "Jay" for the first time. He'd been a wee bit jealous that da da and ma ma were getting all the usage. 

It is my personal opinion that it's written more for adults than actual children. Just my opinion, mind you. But Jacob's reflections and the glamorizing of having THREE baby sisters...makes this one feels a little out of sorts. I mean these are perfectly perfect, idealized, dream babies. Everything just seems a little bit too syrupy sweet to be realistic. I think a little gritty realism of what it is really like to live with newborns and infants would make all the difference. 

I did like it. I don't regret reading it at all. There are some lovely passages. It is just an almost book for me. 

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: