Wednesday, August 10, 2022

127. Balto (Animals to the Rescue #1)


Balto (Animals to the Rescue #1) Emma Carlson Berne. Illustrated by Francesca Rosa. 2022. 96 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Balto twisted his neck to look at the strange leather straps on his belly. Another strap was fastened tightly across his chest. He chewed at it. 

Premise/plot: Balto is a nonfiction early chapter book. In 1925, Nome, Alaska, was experiencing a serious epidemic--diphtheria. Children were dying....but there was no way to get the much-needed medical treatment to the town in winter. The town desperately needed the antitoxin serum, but, the only way to transport it there was by dog sleds. So begins a dog sled relay that covers 650 miles... Balto was ONE of many dogs on many dog sled teams. But he was the lead dog on the last leg of the journey.

My thoughts: If I had been brave at any point of my life, then I probably would have heard of these heroic dogs long before now. But alas, dogs on covers of books were never quite my thing (as a kid). I found this (narrative) nonfiction book fascinating. I loved the history. I loved the illustrations. I liked everything about it.


 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: