Friday, December 3, 2021

172. A Chair for My Mother


A Chair for My Mother (Rosa Books #1) Vera B. Williams. 1982. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: My mother works as a waitress in the Blue Tile Diner. After school sometimes I go to meet her there. Then her boss, Josephine, gives me a job too. I wash the salts and peppers and fill the ketchups. One time I peeled all the onions for the onion soup. When I finish, Josephine says, "Good work, honey," and pays me. And every time, I put half of my money into the jar.

Premise/plot: Rosa and her family (mother, grandmother) save up their coins in a jar so they can buy a chair. I believe this is after a previous fire destroyed their home.

My thoughts: I remember--vaguely--A Chair For My Mother being a Reading Rainbow book. I'm not sure when I first read it for myself. But every now and then I'll be in a mood to seek out the story again.

In many ways, it is a simple story. The family is hard-working and patient. Filling the jar will not be quick and easy. Every day the family looks ahead to the goal--the day the jar will have enough money so they can go together and pick out a chair. The mindset in some ways is so different from the "modern" or "contemporary" [entitled] outlook of if I want it, I'll buy it NOW. And this is something that is actively encouraged, buy it TODAY, pay for it later. It is always refreshing to pick this one up. 

I also love the subtle [and simple] celebration of family.

 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: