Friday, December 17, 2021

183. Sister, Brother, Family


Sister, Brother, Family: An American Childhood in Music. Willie Nelson, Bobbie Nelson, and Chris Barton. Illustrated by Kyun Eun Han. 2021. [September] 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Long before our bus began to roar down this highway--before there even was a highway--we were just a sister and brother. A girl who fell in love with the sound of a piano. A boy who fell for the guitar. We loved music. Music loved us back. It provided for us and protected us and supported our family's soul. It still does. Soon, people will arrive for our show. Soon, Bobbie and I will start making music. Just like we always have.

Premise/plot: Sister, Brother, Family is a picture book biography of Willie (and Bobbie) Nelson. The narrative is told in alternating poems, alternating perspectives. Willie and Bobbie take turns narrating their early years and the role of FAMILY, faith, and music.

My thoughts: To be honest, I have never been a fan of Willie Nelson's music. But I have a good, strong interest in picture book biographies. Sometimes I am amazed at HOW FAR we've come in terms of quality and quantity when it comes to picture book biographies and nonfiction books for children (in general).

I love that this narrative nonfiction book is told in verse. It seems appropriate for a musician's story to be told in this format! I also loved the dual perspectives which emphasizes the deep bond of family.

But what impacted me most as a reader was the role of FAITH. I shouldn't be surprised; I really shouldn't. When you read biographies of country musicians from this time period in history, time and time and time and time again, there's a close correspondence between faith and music. You see the role of "church music" (gospel, hymns, revival songs) in the home and in the church. Cherished memories of families singing together and being closely bound together by their faith as expressed in music. I absolutely loved to see the theme of faith unfold in their narratives.

I also loved the celebration of FAMILY. Despite any difficulties and hardships, LOVE can persevere and triumph.

 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: