Friday, December 10, 2021

177. You Are My Sparkly Mermaid


You Are My Sparkly Mermaid. Joyce Wan. 2021. [June] 14 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Swim and dive
soar and thrive
sparkle and glow.

Premise/plot: The illustrations (and title) reveal that this 'motivational' board book is mermaid-themed. The text is a poem--of sorts. It sure doesn't read like prose!

My thoughts: What a disappointment! I will say that Joyce Wan's YOU ARE MY CUPCAKE is without a doubt the best, best, best, best board book of all time. But this one is a dud. In my opinion. The book's strength is the artwork. If cutesy, precious artwork is your thing and you also happen to love mermaids, this will prove a super satisfying read--albeit a light read. 

The poem is frothy. At first I was convinced that most of the poem is a fractured sentence, incomplete, a string of words. Upon reading it a couple of times, I'm changing my mind and thinking that it is written in second person, with an inferred "you." But I still am not a fan.

 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: