Friday, December 3, 2021

173. Something Special for Me


Something Special for Me. (The Rosa Books #2) Vera B. Williams. 1983. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Our new chair has cocoa on one arm now.

Premise/plot: Rosa and her family have kept adding money to their jar. They were able to buy their chair--a chair for her mother (and grandmother). But now the jar is almost full again and Rosa's birthday is days away! The coins this time will go towards Rosa's birthday present. But HOW is a girl ever to choose what she MOST wants. She wants the present to not only be special--for herself--but bring some joy and happiness to the others in her family as well.

My thoughts: I had NO IDEA that A Chair For My Mother had sequels. This is the first sequel. In this one, Rosa picks out a musical instrument--an accordion, I believe. I definitely enjoyed spending more time with this family. I could relate 100% to her indecisiveness.

 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: