Wednesday, November 18, 2020

115. Anne's School Days


Anne's School Days. Kallie George. Illustrated by Abigail Halpin. 2021. [July] 72 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Everyone loved autumn in Avonlea. Especially Anne of Green Gables. “What a splendid day,” said Anne to Diana Barry as they walked to school. “Isn’t it good to be alive on a day like this?” Three weeks of school had gone by and, so far, Anne loved it. 

Premise/plot: Anne Shirley starts school in Avonlea in the third book in Kallie George's adaptation of L.M. Montgomery's classic Anne of Green Gables. She is adapting the classic novel into an early chapter book series. The series remains true in spirit--with a little condensing, okay a lot of condensing--to the original. In this one, Anne has a few adventures and misadventures in school regarding a certain Gilbert Blythe. Will she ever forgive him for calling her Carrots???

My thoughts: LOVE. I won't try to hide my bias. I can't. It would be like me playing a game of "poor, poor kitty." (If you don't know about the game, you could read about it here.) I love, love, love, love, love, crazy love L.M. Montgomery's books. I particularly LOVE the character of Anne Shirley. And Gilbert, well, don't get me started on how much I LOVE him. I love how the book focuses on two or three incidents instead of trying to tell every single one. It keeps the pace going. (That being said, I wouldn't have minded seeing Anne's green hair make an appearance. But editing matters, and George stayed on task.)

I highly recommend this one!

Quotes:

Anne turned away and quickly forgot about Gilbert. Instead, she gazed off and started imagining. Anne loved imagining. This time, she dreamed she was a fancy lady with puffed sleeves and glossy black hair. All of a sudden, she was tugged out of her daydream. It was Gilbert. He had slid over and now he was pulling her braid! “Carrots,” he whispered. Anne froze. Anne’s red hair was her lifelong sorrow. That was the worst name Gilbert could call her. The worst name anyone could call her.

 

© 2020 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: