Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Monster and Mouse Go Camping

Monster and Mouse Go Camping. Deborah Underwood. Illustrated by Jared Chapman. 2018. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Monster was having a snack when Mouse burst in the front door. "Let's go camping!" she said. "What's camping?" Monster asked. "Camping is great!" Mouse said. "You walk in the woods. You sleep in a tent. You tell spooky stories."

Premise/plot: Will Mouse convince her friend Monster to go camping? Of course! But will things go according to plan? Of course not! Monster's first camping trip will be memorable though!

My thoughts: I liked it. I liked both Mouse and Monster. At first I wasn't sure I liked the illustrations, but, the second time I read the book I enjoyed it more. I found the illustrations more expressive than I originally thought. The twist at the end made the book work for me.

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 7 out of 10

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: