Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Mervin the Sloth Is About To Do The Best Thing In the World

Mervin the Sloth Is About To Do The Best Thing In the World. Colleen AF Venable. 2016. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: There you are, Mervin! What are you...

Premise/plot: Falling letters--or a falling sentence to be precise--begin this picture book starring Mervin the Sloth. If Mervin's friends have the patience to wait for it--if readers have the patience to wait for it--they will learn what 'the best thing in the world' is. In the meanwhile, everyone has an opinion, a guess, as to what the best thing in the world is.

My thoughts: I don't know that I love, love, love this one. But I liked the ending. I liked seeing what Mervin's 'best thing in the world' is. I thought it very sweet. Much better than some of his friends' suggestions.

Text: 3.5  out of 5
Illustrations: 3.5 out of 5
Total: 7 out of 10

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: