Sunday, December 19, 2010

There's A Mouse in the House!

There's A Mouse in the House! (School Reader Level 1). Wendy Cheyette Lewison. Illustrated by Hans Wilhelm. 2010. Scholastic. 32 pages.

Once there was a mouse who walked into a house.
"Eek!" yelled the mommy.
"There's a mouse in the house!"
The mommy said, "Go!"
But the mouse said, "No."
So the mommy yelled again...

I liked this one. I really liked this one. I thought it was very silly, very predictable, very reader-friendly, and very dramatic. (I definitely don't remember any school readers being this silly, this fun!)

I liked the drama this one little mouse causes as adult after adult enters the scene! First, the mom, then the dad, then the grandma. As you can imagine, they want the mouse to go far, far away. But once the children sees the mouse....can you imagine their reaction?! Is this mouse destined to be the new family pet?

Perhaps it isn't the most sophisticated of books. But I liked it all the same.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: