Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Llama Llama Holiday Drama


Llama Llama Holiday Drama. Anna Dewdney. 2010. Penguin. 40 pages.

Llama Llama holidays.
Jingle music. Lights ablaze.
Sparkly candles. Yummy bread.
Dress-up clothes in green and red.
How long till that special date?
Llama Llama has to wait. 
Llama Llama holidays.
Ads and signs and store displays.
Fluffy snow and funny elves.
Goodies piled high on shelves.
Just how many days to go?
Llama Llama wants to know.

I first met Llama Llama in Llama Llama Red Pajama. It was love at first sight. I just LOVED Llama Llama. I loved his llama drama. I thought it was a great picture book. I loved the rhyme, loved the story. It just felt right. I then read Llama Llama Mad at Mama and Llama Llama Misses Mama. I loved these as well. Especially Llama Llama Mad at Mama. It just felt right, it felt true. It is VERY VERY hard to stay in a pleasant mood while shopping, running errands. (I could SO relate to Llama Llama's latest drama.) Llama Llama Misses Mama deals with Llama Llama's first experience with school.

In this book, Llama Llama is excited about Christmas. He is very, very anxious. He wants it to be Christmas now. He likes some of the Christmas preparations, some of the holiday activities. Readers see this family shopping, baking, decorating, wrapping presents, etc. But. There are times when it all seems too much, and he gets impatient. It wasn't a big surprise that this was leading to a "holidrama" meltdown.

I liked this one. I didn't love it. I certainly didn't LOVE it. But. I liked it. I still like Llama Llama. I can still relate to his frustrations and anxieties.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: