Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Christmas Giant

The Christmas Giant. Steve Light. 2010. Candlewick. 32 pages.

Humphrey and Leetree are great friends. Humphrey is a giant. Leetree is an elf. They live at the North Pole. They make the wrapping paper for all Santa's gifts. They love making wrapping paper. Just before Christmas, they deliver the paper to Santa's Workshop. But when their work is done for the year, Humphrey and Leetree are sad. One year Santa gives Humphrey and Leetree a special assignment: to grow the holiday tree for Christmastown.

I'll be the first to admit The Christmas Giant is a little odd. These two friends are given a special assignment by Santa. They are to grow the Christmas tree for Christmastown. (That's a big responsibility!) When things do NOT go according to plan, can these two find a creative way to solve the problem?

It's a creative story about friendship, teamwork, and problem-solving. I liked the problem-solving aspect of it best. The illustrations are different, yet by the end I found them very inviting, very charming. Especially this scene:


I just loved the use of color! And that "tree" is so very FAT. Isn't it beautiful? It is a little busy, but I think that's part of its charm!

While I didn't love this one at first--it took a few pages for me to care (if care is the right word), by the end I was happy with it. Perhaps not a must read, but still a pleasant holiday read.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: