Monday, December 20, 2010

The 39 Clues: The Emperor's Code

The Emperor's Code. (The 39 Clues #8). Gordon Korman. 2010. Scholastic. 176 pages.


The sneezing began the instant the pet carrier passed the passenger's nose.

When the novel opens, Amy and Dan Cahill are still trying to process the news of which family branch they're from. (And they are NOT happy.) Will they ever get comfortable with the truth? Only time will tell. One thing for sure, both are losing patience.

Dan and Amy are losing patience with each other. They are fighting more than ever before. And one fight will even lead to an unexpected separation...will time apart help them realize how much they love (and need) each other?

But Dan, at least, and perhaps Amy to a certain degree, are getting tired of chasing clues. (I'm glad I'm not the only one. It was refreshing to know that I wasn't the only one getting bored with all the excitement and danger.)

This one is set, for the most part, in China. 

The first seven in the series: The Maze of Bones, One False Note, The Sword Thief, Beyond the Grave, The Black Circle, In Too Deep, The Viper's Nest.

My thoughts: I do struggle (at times) to stay interested in this series. A few of these have surprised me, however. I do care enough to want to know what happens in the end. So that's why I'll keep reading this series despite the fact that I'm not liking each title.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: